Spend a Whole Year Abroad
North Star Youth Exchange offers international abroad opportunities for students who meet our requirements. You can choose to participate in the program either during your high school years or in a gap year following high school.
- To further international understanding and goodwill.
- Learn and adapt to another culture, while sharing your own.
Qualifications of Applicants
- At least 15 years of age and not over 19 years at the time of departure. (Most receiving countries require that students are no older than 18 years 6 months.) See Countries page for exact age requirements.
- Student must be a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior in high school at time of application.
- Student must demonstrate scholastic competence and be involved in extra-curricular activities.
The selected student will:
- Attend high school in their host country. (Grade placement cannot be guaranteed)
- Act as a student ambassador, sharing customs and adapting to the host country’s culture.
- Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible throughout the exchange process.
- Follow the rules, regulations and counseling of the sponsoring and host Rotary clubs and Rotary districts. Rules will be discussed at orientation sessions prior to departure.
Parents of the selected student will:
- Pay the participation fee (which includes airfare, orientation materials, basic insurance, blazer, etc.).
- Pay costs of passport, visa or residency permit, inoculations, gifts, local travel, personal items.
- Abide by the rules and decisions as set forth by the Rotary International Youth Exchange Committee here and in the host country.
- Pay costs of host country language camp, if required.
Rotary Club in host country will:
- Correspond with student prior to arrival, giving pertinent data of the host city and family.
- Meet and transport the student from point of arrival to host family.
- Furnish one year’s education in a high school.
- Be responsible for the physical well-being of the student.
- Supervise the student’s activities, opportunities and experiences.
Costs and Deadlines
Scholarships Available to All Students
The North Star Area Rotary Clubs are proud to announce that it is offering the prestigious North Star Area Youth Exchange Scholarship. Valued at over $14,000, the Youth Exchange Scholarship is for high school students and covers room, board, tuition, and a monthly stipend for an academic year abroad.
The cost of participation in the outbound North Star Rotary Youth Exchange Program for students applying in 2016-2017, after scholarships is $6,000 (participation-cost-2017).
- Airfare – round trip, open ended ticket to host country
- Basic overseas accident/sickness/personal liability
- Orientation sessions (3 half-days)
- Rotary blazer
- Rotary emblem
- Orientation materials
- Business/calling cards
- Pins for trading
- Name badge
Not included in the participation fee are costs of passport, visa or residency permit, host country language camp, inoculations, gifts, local travel, personal items.
Payment of the fee is due in increments as follows:
- January 21, 2017 at the 1st Orientation: $2,000
- February 25, 2017 at the 2nd Orientation: $2,000
- April 22, 2017 at the 3rd Orientation: $2,000
The fee is subject to change if there is a significant change in airfare. Should the student discontinue participation in the program, the unused portion of the fee will be refunded, less a service charge, dependent upon time of withdrawal. See schedule below.
Financial assistance may be available to the student, based on need. The availability and amount of assistance will be determined by the sponsoring Rotary club and the Youth Exchange Finance Committee.
While in the exchange country, students will receive a monthly allowance from the host Rotary club for miscellaneous spending.Click edit button to change this text.
The candidate must notify the North Star Rotary Youth Exchange Chair or the Youth Exchange Executive Secretary IN WRITING of his/her withdrawal from the Youth Exchange Program:
- On or before January 21, 2017: Full refund
- Between January 21 and February 25, 2017: Refund less $150
- Between February 25 and April 22, 2017: Refund less $350
- On or after April 22, 2017: Refund less $550
Refunds will be issued when the following requirements have been met by the candidate:
- Issue a written statement, declaring that you are withdrawing from the North Star Rotary Youth Exchange Program. Mail a copy to:
- Your Sponsor Club Youth Exchange Officer
- Your Country Officer
- The North Star Rotary Youth Exchange Office, 105 East 4th Street, Suite 217, Northfield, MN 55057
- Travel One (Attn: Linda Hindal, Riverview Office Tower, #1250, 8009 34th Ave. So., Minneapolis, MN 55425)
- If you have been provided with the following items, they must be returned to the North Star Rotary Youth Exchange Office in new condition:
- Youth Exchange Blazer
- Youth Exchange Trading Pins
Airline Ticket Refunds
If your airline ticket has been issued:
- Any agent fees sustained will be deducted from your refund.If it is non-refundable, the ticket amount and any associated agent fees will be deducted from your refund.
- Your refund will be sent to you when the airline has credited our account with Travel One. This takes approximately 4-6 weeks.
- Should it be deemed by the North Star Rotary Youth Exchange Committee that the student is not a good fit for the program, the student’s payment will be fully refunded minus any incurred airline fees/costs, when the above requirements have been met.