Short Term Exchange Opportunity
We are now offering Summer Short Term Family to Family or International Camps / Tours in addition to our long term youth exchange program. The Short Term Exchange Program (STEP) has two different formats to choose from:
Family to Family
This exchange involves the matching of a USA student between the ages of 15-17 with a student from another country. Typically age, interests and gender are factors that are considered when making a match. The USA student travels to the host country at the beginning of the summer for a one month stay with their host brother or sister and their family. The host brother or sister then comes to stay with the USA family for a month some time later in the summer. The students have a two month exchange (one month abroad and one month hosting).
International Camps and Tours
International Camps and Tours involve a structured one-way experience where USA students between the ages of 16-25, most commonly 18-21, participate in a camp or tour in a host country that is planned and sponsored by local Rotarians in that country. Housing arrangements may include home stays or group accommodations and experience not only the country but the opportunity to be with other exchange students from around the world who are also attending the camp or tour. Rotary Short Term Camps and Tours – Summer 2018
Rotary will proxide informationfor purchasing Rotary approved insurance (approx. $80 depending upon length of stay) and provide orientation, materials, a polo shirt and handbook as well as handle overall program administration.
Short Term Program Details
The Family to Family STEP fee (payable to North Star Youth Exchange Program) is $500. Families are responsible for having a passport, purchasing their student’s airline ticket, providing insurance and spending money. Host families provide room and board and welcome the exchange student as a member of their family.
For Camps and Tours, $250 North Star program fee payable directly to the camp hosts at the time of acceptance (average of $200-$600). Families are responsible for having a passport, purchasing the airline ticket and spending money.
- STEP applications priority placement deadline November 24, 2018, additional application will be accepted until March 1, 2019 as program capacity allows. Placements will be made in order received so do not delay in submitting applications for summer 2019 exchanges
- Interviews held on December 8th, January 26, February 23rd in Roseville, MN for applications received prior to each date.
- Family to Family matching occurs January-March. Students and families approve potential match before match is finalized.
- Camp postings occur December-April. Rolling admission of accepted applicants.
- Full day Orientation Session for STEP students and families held April 27th
- Travel dates June-August of 2019 – exact dates set by families
- Students should complete the application and contact their local Rotary club about their interest. Applications for STEP for summer of 2019 that are received by the end of November 24 will receive priority placement. Late applications will be accepted until March 1st as program capacity allows.
- An interview will be conducted and well qualified candidates will be accepted for the program as capacity allows
- Students accepted for STEP will attend an informational meeting along with your parents to discuss country options for Family to Family or a Camp/Tour.
- Family to Family matching will be done by Rotary STEP Coordinators and once a good match has been found – this will be reviewed with the families. Upon confirmation of the match, the program fee will be due and orientation scheduled. For camps/tours, the program fee will be due once registration is complete and accepted.
- Families are responsible for students having a valid passport, purchasing insurance and for making their own airline reservations. Exact exchange dates are agreed to by both families based on their schedules or will be communicated for camp/tours.
If you have any questions about this program, please contact: