Summer Short Term Exchange Opportunity
We are now offering Summer Short Term Family to Family or International Camps / Tours in addition to our long term youth exchange program. The Short Term Exchange Program (STEP) has two different formats to choose from:
Family to Family
This exchange involves the matching of a USA student between the ages of 15-17 with a student from another country. Typically age, interests and gender are factors that are considered when making a match. The USA student travels to the host country at the beginning of the summer for a one month stay with their host brother or sister and their family. The host brother or sister then comes to stay with the USA family for a month some time later in the summer. The students have a two month exchange (one month abroad and one month hosting).
International Camps and Tours
International Camps and Tours involve a structured one-way experience where USA students between the ages of 16-25, most commonly 18-21, participate in a camp or tour in a host country that is planned and sponsored by local Rotarians in that country. Housing arrangements may include home stays or group accommodations and experience not only the country but the opportunity to be with other exchange students from around the world who are also attending the camp or tour. New camps each year – approved applicants receive notice as camps for summer of 2021 are announced. See one you want to apply for and your application will be sent. See list from last summer for examples. Rotary Short Term Camps and Tours – Summer 2019
Rotary will proxide informationfor purchasing Rotary approved insurance (approx. $90 depending upon length of stay) and provide orientation, materials, a polo shirt and handbook as well as handle overall program administration.
Summer Short Term Exchange Program (STEP) Details
The Family to Family STEP fee (payable to North Star Youth Exchange Program) is $500. Families are responsible for having a passport, purchasing their student’s airline ticket, providing insurance and spending money. Host families provide room and board and welcome the exchange student as a member of their family.
For Camps and Tours, there is a $250 North Star program fee. The listed camp fee is payable directly to the camp hosts at the time of acceptance (cost varies but average is $200-$600). Families are also responsible for having a passport, purchasing the airline ticket and insurance and bringing spending money.
- STEP applications priority placement deadline November 23, 2020, additional application will be accepted until March 1, 2021 as program capacity allows. Placements will be made in order received so do not delay in submitting applications for summer 2021 camps and exchanges.
- Interviews held on December 5th and January 23rd in Roseville, MN for applications received prior to each date. Late application interviews will be arranged individually.
- Family to Family matching occurs February through April. Students and their families review and accept any potential match before match is finalized.
- Camp postings occur December through April. Camp applications are accepted on a first come basis.
- There is a full day orientation for all STEP students and families held April 24th in Roseville, MN.
- Travel dates occur from June through August of 2021. Exact dates are set by the families
- Students should complete the application and contact their local Rotary club about their interest. Applications for STEP for summer of 2021 that are received by November 23 will receive priority placement. Late applications will be accepted until March 1st as program capacity allows.
- Students invited for STEP interviews will attend an informational meeting along with their parents to discuss country options for Family to Family exchange or a Camp/Tour.
- Family to Family matching will be done by Rotary STEP Coordinators and once a good match has been found information will be reviewed with the families. Upon confirmation of the match, families may begin communicating and planning for the summer.
- Family to Family and Camp fees to North Star will be due at the April orientation.
- Families are responsible for students having a valid passport, making travel arrangements and purchasing insurance and airline tickets. Exact exchange dates for Family to Family are agreed upon by both families based on their schedules. Camp travel dates will be communicated for camp/tours by the camp organizers.
If you have any questions about this program, please contact: