Short Term Exchange Opportunity
We are now offering Summer Short Term Family to Family or International Camps / Tours in addition to our long term youth exchange program. The Short Term Exchange Program (STEP) has two different formats to choose from:
Family to Family
This exchange involves the matching of a USA student between the ages of 15-17 with a student from another country. Typically age, interests and gender are factors that are considered when making a match. The USA student travels to the host country at the beginning of the summer for a one month stay with their host brother or sister and their family. The host brother or sister then comes to stay with the USA family for a month some time later in the summer. The students have a two month exchange (one month abroad and one month hosting).
International Camps and Tours
International Camps and Tours involve a structured one-way experience where USA students participate in a camp or tour in a host country that is planned and sponsored by local Rotarians in that country. They typically live in homes and experience not only the country but the opportunity to be with other exchange students from around the world who are also attending the camp or tour. Rotary Short Term Camps and Tours – Summer 2017
Rotary will book international travel insurance and provide orientation, materials, a polo shirt and handbook as well as handle overall program administration.
Short Term Program Details
The Family to Family STEP fee (payable to NorthStar Youth Exchange Program) is $400. Families are responsible for having a passport, purchasing their student’s airline ticket and providing spending money. Host families provide room and board and welcome the exchange student as a member of their family.
For Camps and Tours, the fee is $250 (payable to NorthStar Youth Exchange Program) plus the camp fee (average of $600-$900) payable to the host country. Families are responsible for having a passport, purchasing the airline ticket and spending money.
- Apply for STEP by the end of October for preferential placement, late applications accepted through February as program capacity allows
- Interviews held on Nov. 19th in Roseville, MN. Informational session held prior to interviews
- Matching occurs January-March. Students and families approve potential match to finalize
- Orientation Session for STEP students and families held April 22nd
- Exchange June-August of 2017
- Students should complete the application and contact their local Rotary club about their interest. Applications for STEP for summer of 2017 that are received by the end of October will receive priority placement. Late applications will be accepted through Feb. as program capacity allows.
- An interview will be conducted and well qualified candidates will be accepted for the program as capacity allows
- Students accepted for STEP will attend an informational meeting along with your parents to discuss country options for Family to Family or a Camp/Tours
- Family to Family matching will be done by Rotary STEP Coordinators and once a good match has been found – this will be reviewed with the families. Upon confirmation of the match, the program fee will be due and orientation scheduled. For camps/tours, the program fee will be due once registration is complete and accepted.
- Families are responsible for students having a valid passport and for making their own airline reservations. Exact exchange dates are agreed to by both families based on their schedules or will be communicated for camp/tours.
If you have any questions about this program, please contact: