It goes without saying that the Rotary Youth Exchange Program could not exist were it not for the willingness of families to open their homes to students they have never met. It’s a leap of faith.
As parents, we want to expose our children to the world in a safe way. This is an excellent start. Our children need to see that other children from different cultures have the same dreams as they do. It builds tolerance and acceptance in a natural way … by opening their eyes to a global community.
As adults, we want to continue learning and reaffirming our faith that people around the world are good. This is why we open our homes and welcome students for a short stay with the hopes that this can be the beginning of a lifelong relationship.
On behalf of the North Star Rotary Youth Exchange Program, thank you for giving a Rotary exchange student a chance to see our culture through your eyes.
North Star Youth Exchange Program
Complete a Background Check
This must be completed by each host parent and person age 18 and above that will be living in the home when the exchange student lives there. Even if you hosted last year, you must go through a background check for each new student.
- Log on to https://NorthStarYouthExchange.volunteerportal.net
- Review text on the Welcome Page, enter the password: NorthStar and click “I Agree”.
- Enter Personal Information. All fields marked with a “*” are required.
- Click “Next”
- Review all information to ensure its accuracy before proceeding. If you need to make any corrections you can click on the “Edit” link or the “Previous” button to return to the Personal Information page.
- Click “Complete” to process your search.
***Please Note the following***
- If you Quit without clicking Save, the system will not save your information. Your background check will not be run. You will need to start over from the beginning when you return.
- If you click Save before you Quit, you will be provided with a reference code to enter when you return to the site to pick up where you left off.
- When returning to the site, click on this link on the Welcome Page: “If you are returning to finish a previous search, then click here.”
- Enter your last name and reference number to resume your previous search.
Host Family Handbook
Read the Host Parent Handbook before your student moves in.